Central air conditioners are often only as good as the thermostats to which they are connected. When installing a new system or replacing old HVAC equipment, consider replacing your thermostat as well. We suggest a programmable thermostat that allows you to schedule when your HVAC system runs. If you want more advanced features, such as smartphone control, automatic schedules and smart home integration, consider getting a smart thermostat made by Nest or ecobee. You can also check with your contractor for recommendations.
Top 12 Ac Units
- FAST COOLING: 5, 000 BTU window-mounted mini-compact air conditioner is perfect for cooling a room up to...
- EFFORTLESS OPERATION: 7 temperature settings, 2 cooling/2 fan only speeds and 2-way air direction give...
- Beat the heat without having a central ac at home or office with Vremi Portable Air Conditioner. ASHRAE...
- Our high-quality air conditioning machine is designed for comfort. It features an easy-to-read LED...
- PORTABLE A/C HEATER COMBO UNIT - Our 6,000 BTU DOE (12,000 BTU ASHRAE) dual compact air conditioner &...
- HEATS & COOLS SMALL ROOMS - This portable heat & AC unit provides steady & fast cooling and heating for...
- For a room up to 350 sq. ft. with dehumidification up to 1.5 pints per hour
- Exterior dimensios: 22-5/8"W x 23-5/16"D x 15-3/8" H | Window opening: Max. 36"H
- Dimensions: 17.4’’ L x 13.4’’ W x 32.1’’ H | Weight: 62.1 lbs
- Your purchase includes: Portable Air Conditioner, Window Mount Kit, Quick Setup Guide, Remote Control...
- Powerful 6,000 BTU rating for quiet, fast, and effective cooling for rooms up to 250 sq. ft.
- Easy to install and use, sets up in minutes with the included window mounting bracket, while the...
- Your purchase includes One Dometic Brisk II Rooftop Air Conditioner, 13,500 BTU - Polar White...
- Air conditioner dimensions: 29 5/8” W x 13 7/8” H x 27 5/8” D. Weight 77 lbs
- Beat the heat while remaining cool and happy on hot summer days
- With 2344.57 W cooling power, enjoy a blast of cool air throughout your room
- Wi-Fi-enabled voice activated room air conditioner can switch mode, set temperature, and set timers
- Small air conditioner cools and dehumidifies spaces up to 275 sq. ft. such as an apartment or bedroom
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 6,000 BTU DOE (10,000 BTU ASHRAE) compact air conditioner (16.5 x 11.5 x 26 in,)...
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling...
Characteristics of the Ac Units
Here are five traits to look for in central air conditioner brands:
1). Quality Components: As a consumer, you understand that every product you shop for is available in a range of options: Basic, better and best. This is true with automobiles, appliances, and furniture. It is true with central air conditioners.
But this might surprise you – Many major brands use internal components made by the same part suppliers like Emerson, Carlyle, and Copeland. The issue of internal components is discussed in the top AC brands reviews below.
2). Durability: Well-known independent testing group Consumer Reports found that the average central air conditioner repair was more than $200 per event. Good air conditioners break down less over the 14-20 years most last, so that’s fewer $200+ repair bills.
3). Good Warranties: A warranty lets you know what the manufacturer thinks of its equipment. The best 2019 central AC brands have general parts warranties of at least 10 years. Some offer longer coverage or extra advantages that put them among the best warranties in the industry. These issues are also discussed in the brand reviews below.
4). Value: Did you know that most Carrier and Heil ACs are nearly identical? But Carrier air conditioners are priced significantly higher. So, which is a better value? Heil, of course. That’s what we mean by value, and it is discussed on a brand-by-brand basis in the top air conditioner brand reviews.
5). A Proven Installer: What does the AC mechanic have to do with the brands? Simply this: The quality of the installation is at least as important as the brand.
One owner of a large heating and air conditioning company said this based on his 20+ years of experience: “Premature failure of components is almost always the result of improper installation. There is a right way, and there is a wrong way.” We revisit the topic of proper installation at the end with tips for finding a proven installer to ensure you get the best durability and efficiency from your new central air conditioner.
Are our new central air conditioners noisy?
Today’s central air conditioners often have noise-reducing features, such as specially designed fan blades, compressor and pan base insulation, and variable-speed fans. However, since the unit sits outside your home, it’s important to choose one that won’t bother you or your neighbors. The best AC units produce sound levels under 71.25 decibels – as loud as a conversation in a restaurant. We found American Standard to be the quietest brand at 69.9 decibels. The loudest brand was Frigidaire, coming in at 72.9 decibels.
Central air conditioning unit size
Many central air conditioner models come in multiple sizes so you can choose the most appropriate one for your home’s square footage. If a central AC unit is too small, it wastes energy and struggles to produce consistent cooling on the hottest days. If it’s too big, you paid extra when a smaller model would be more energy efficient – and it won’t dehumidify your home as effectively. A trained technician can help you choose the ideal unit for your home, local climate conditions, and budget.
Central air conditioner warranties
Each brand has a conditional warranty, which means you must register your AC within so many days of the purchase date to be covered for the full term. However, this doesn’t apply in California or Quebec, where conditional warranties are not allowed. When you register your central AC unit, you can expect a warranty that lasts at least 10 years, though some brands, such as Amana, Trane, Coleman, and Goodman, offer 12-year or lifetime warranties on their premium products; without registration, warranties average about five years.