When CDs first came out, they were a noticeable improvement over vinyl LP records. People described how they were immersed by the sound from the CD. Although CDs don’t have the popularity that they once had–since MP3 players and Smartphones can hold gigabytes of your favorite music, and reproduce it faithfully–you might still have a CD collection, and you’ll want something to listen to them. There are portable CD players in several forms, which also give you options of listening to AM/FM radio, listening to MP3 files on flash memory, or to play music from your Smartphone over the device’s speakers. If you want to listen to music CDs while taking a brisk walk, there are devices that are designed to continue playing music without interruption, even if the CD player gets shaken around a bit.
Top 12 Portable Cd Players
- Long Battery Life: Built-in large capacity rechargeable 1400 mah lithium battery, the personal music disc...
- Compact & Portable: The portable CD player for adults/kids designed with compact palm size, smooth...
- RETURN TO THE CLASSIC - HOTT portable CD player with volume control designed with fashion black, offers...
- MORE COMPATIBILITY - HOTT compact CD player is compatible with most of the format such as CD, CD - R, CD...
- Portable personal CD player Designed CD, CD-R / RW, MP3 CD
- 40 second anti-skip protection for CDs, 100 second anti-skip protection for MP3 CDs
- A compact CD/cassette player with AM/FM radio, sleep-timer, and 3 station preset capability.
- Enjoy full-function stereo sound, Playback CDs, CD-R/RW and MP3 CDs with shuffle and program functions,...
- 💽 MULTI-FUNCTION & STRONG COMPATIBILITY: 5 in 1 function CD player can act as CD Player, FM...
- 💽 UNIQUE & CREATIVE DESIGN: Wall mounted and creative pullswitch design, comes with wall mounted...
- CD playback - Enjoy your favorite CDs or personally recorded CD-R and CD-RWdiscs, including those with...
- Bluetooth audio streaming - Enjoy convenient Bluetooth connectivity withcompatible devices and stream...
- Portable personal CD player with 60 second anti-skip protection
- 1 pair of stereo ear buds included
- Top Loading CD Player, CD-R/RW Compatible, LED CD Track Display
- Skip/Search Forward and Back, Repeat 1 or All, Programmable Memory
- 💖SUPREME SOUND: The personal CD players designed to play CD, CD - R, CD - RW, MP3 disc(NOT VCD or...
- 💖MULTI-FUNCTION: The compact CD player supports volume control, 3.5mm Aux out/headphone port....
- ANTI-SKIP PROTECTION. Listen to your favorite CDs with the Coby Portable Compact Anti-Skip CD Player....
- EARBUDS INCLUDED. The Coby CD player comes with its own set of stereo earbuds, delivering great quality...
- Portable CD Boombox with AM/FM Radio
- Skip/Search Function, Repeat 1/All Function
- Stereo AM/FM Radio
- Top-loading CD Player with Programmable Memory
We’ve composed this buyer’s guide to help you make the right decision when selecting a portable CD player. It’ll help you:
- Choose the right type of portable CD player,
- See useful tips about that particular type of portable CD player,
- Read reviews of different portable CD players, and what customers are saying,
- Select the right brand of the portable CD player, and
- Compare prices and find the best deals.
Types of Portable Cd Players
- Top-Loading “Boombox”: These have the CD player and speakers in a single unit, along with a handle so that you can conveniently carry it around with you (you just have to make sure to have enough batteries on hand). The Sylvania SRCD243 Portable CD Player Boombox is an example. Some also allow you to play audio cassettes.
Sylvania SRCD243 Portable CD Player Boombox
- Portable Shelf Systems: Besides having a CD player, these will also be able to play AM/FM radio, MP3 files, cassette tapes, and digital files from a USB stick. They will sit on a shelf in a sound system, and will have detachable speakers–but they are still somewhat “portable”, in that you can take it from one room to another (unlike your stereo system, where the speakers remain fixed). The NAXA portable MP3/CD/USB player is an example.
NAXA Portable Shelf System CD Player
- Personal CD Player: These follow the design of the Sony Discman, Sony’s first portable CD player, that they introduced in 1984. They will be small enough to clip onto your belt and use while walking, or even when running or jogging. The Jensen Slim Personal CD Player is an example
What Reviewers Say
- The not great sound quality in the inexpensive models: The inexpensive boom box models, such as the Sylvania Portable Boombox radio and CD player, generally do not have great sound quality. But, customers were pleased with the fact that the device was enough for children, or for the elderly.
- Functions to find songs: Some CD players will have functions such as skip (to skip from one band on the CD to another), search forwards and backwards (to find a particular band), and “Repeat 1/Repeat all” functions (to listen to one song again and again, or to play the whole disc all over again).
- Battery power: Since these CD players are portable, you might want to run them on batteries. The “boom boxes” will use more batteries–so the Axess PB2710 Portable Stereo CD/CDR/CDRW uses 6 9-Volt batteries. The “Discman” type portable CD players will require less battery power. The Jensen Slim personal CD player will give you 16 hours of music with just 2 “AA” batteries.
- Types of CDs that the device can play: You’ll see some portable CD players that can play CD-R (CD-Recordable) and CD-RW (CD-ReWritable) discs. “CD-R” indicates that the CD player can read compact discs onto which you can record music or voice. “CD-RW” indicates that you can write to the disc, format it, and write to it again. There are some CD players that can only read audio CDs–they will not succeed in reading discs that you have burned on your computer. This is because music CDs have disc application flag to identify that they are copywritten music CDs, and to prevent counterfeiting.
- Anti-skip protection: Since you will be moving with your portable CD player, it’s important that jostling it around does not interfere with the playback. NAXA Electronics NPC-330 Slim Portable CD and MP3 player have a 120-second anti-shock memory when playing MP3 music, and a 40-second anti-shock memory for CDs. It does this by reading the MP3 or CD content and storing it in the device’s memory. This allows the music to continue playing, even if the machine is moving. Look for models with features like that.
- AUX-In and AUX-Out: You will see CD players with Aux-In and/or Aux-Out jacks. If the CD player advertises having an Aux-Out jack, it will allow you to plug in stereo headphones or earphones. If it has an Aux-In jack, this jack will allow you to input music from an MP3 player or your Smartphone.