If you enjoy gardening you may benefit from having a power tiller to make gardening tasks easier. These tillers are designed to make it easier to plant vegetables, flowers, shrubs, or other plants around your home.
These yard machines come in several different sizes so you can choose one based on the area in which you plan to plant. Some even have variable widths so you can adjust the tilling width based on your needs. The depth of the tiller can be an important consideration when choosing the right one.
Power tillers are designed to break up tough ground so you can plant decorative plants or fruits and vegetables in your garden. If you have extremely tough ground with lots of rocks and debris you may want to consider a heavy duty tiller to ensure that it’s able to do the required work. For those with an average ground type, a smaller tiller with less power will probably do the job. The following is a list of the 10 best power tillers based on reviews by consumer report.
Top 12 Tiller
- Powerful: 13. 5-Amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. Wide x 8 in. Deep
- Durable: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- Adjustable TillIng Width - Electric tiller can be quickly switched from 6 tInes to 4 tInes without tools,...
- Compact Storage - The foldable design allows you to fold the tiller easily without tools, providIng...
- Powerful 6. 5-Amp motor in this Earthwise electric garden tiller cultivator for superior power, run-time...
- Electric corded garden rototiller cultivator is ideal for small to mid-size gardens and flower beds
- POWERFUL: 12-amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. (40. 6 cm) wide x 8 in. (20. 3 cm) deep
- DURABLE: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- Powerful cordless electric motor bundled with 20 volt 2.0Ah lithium-ion battery and fast charger
- Versatile cultivator ideal for any garden size, yard and flower bed; This tiller is also an effective...
- BALANCED AND STABLE: The lower and wider body with our transmission provides the perfect balance from...
- INSTANT REVERSE: Unlike its competitors, Pioneer takes the “shift” out of backing up. Seamlessly...
- Earthwise tiller with a powerful 12.5-Amp electric motor with superb run time and service life
- Corded electric tiller ideal for small to medium-sized gardens
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN 38” tall with a step plate that centers you over the tool, a solid ½” powder coated...
- LOOSENS, TURNS, TILLS AND AERATES soil promoting the free flow of water, air, and fertilizer for a...
- VERSATILE - Weeding, mixing and aerating
- CONVENIENT - On-board wheels adjust for transport and depth control.
- 6 adjustable tines
- Adjustable 11" To 16" Width/ 8" Working depth
There are several factors one should consider when shopping for their next tiller or cultivator. We break down each metric that we consider and how it weighs into the overall rating.
This is a pretty broad term but refers to how well the units of a given manufacturer perform overall. This is due to a few key components that include (but aren’t limited to) engine size/power, tine configuration, tilling depth, various features, and more. Essentially, a unit that performs better means that it makes your given task easier and takes less time. Obviously, we can’t directly compare a small cultivator to an industrial-sized tiller so we rather try to compare each product to similar products in the industry.
There can be a pretty wide range of sizes to choose from when it comes to tillers and cultivators, so we appreciate companies that offer multiple examples so that they hit a larger target audience. And the selection isn’t just limited to size. There are various types of power sources (gas, gas/oil, electric, and even propane) and we also like to see brands that try out a few different ones. Finally, there can even be different configurations of the tines such as front, mid, and rear tines that each have their own unique pros and cons.
The price range between entry-level cultivators and premium industrial-sized tillers is massive. We understand that just about everybody has some sort of budget, so asking price plays an important role in our overall rating metrics. We try to compare a given product to other similar performing products on the market to get an accurate feel for how it compares to its competition. Just remember (particularly when it comes to tillers) that you get what you pay for and the units with higher asking prices oftentimes last longer and perform much better!
Looks might not be a big deal to some, seeing how these are going to be getting quite dirty when in use. However, we still do like a product that has an attractive look and that more importantly gives off a vibe of being tough and durable. We understand that looks are also quite subjective so this rating metric doesn’t play a huge role in the overall rating.
Seeing how expensive tillers and some cultivators can be, we want products that are designed to last. This is accomplished through many methods including the use of premium metal materials, optimal and well-engineering construction, efficient design that hides or protects weak points, and products that are backed with good warranties. We consider high-dollar items such as these to be investments so you should always want to put your hard-earned money in an investment that will last and that the manufacturer will back up if something does go wrong.
Ease of Use
This metric deals with how user-friendly a particular cultivator or tiller is. Larger products can be quite bulky and heavy so we appreciate features and accessories that make them much easier to use. These include things such as ergonomic control panels, self-driving gears, large tires with great grip and turning radius, and power sources that require little in regards to maintenance or repair.
As the title says, this is basically an overview of how well a product does after considering all of the individual metrics discussed above. We look for tillers that do well across the board. For those that have wider budgets, you may be able to ignore the cost metric somewhat. Similarly, for those who only have small personal gardens, you may not be as concerned about high-dollar products that put out impressive power and have huge tilling areas. That being said, any of our top choices should be great options for most people.