If you enjoy gardening you may benefit from having a power tiller to make gardening tasks easier. These tillers are designed to make it easier to plant vegetables, flowers, shrubs, or other plants around your home.
These yard machines come in several different sizes so you can choose one based on the area in which you plan to plant. Some even have variable widths so you can adjust the tilling width based on your needs. The depth of the tiller can be an important consideration when choosing the right one.
Power tillers are designed to break up tough ground so you can plant decorative plants or fruits and vegetables in your garden. If you have extremely tough ground with lots of rocks and debris you may want to consider a heavy duty tiller to ensure that it’s able to do the required work. For those with an average ground type, a smaller tiller with less power will probably do the job. The following is a list of the 10 best power tillers based on reviews by consumer report.
Top 12 Tiller
- Powerful: 13. 5-Amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. Wide x 8 in. Deep
- Durable: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- POWERFUL: 12-amp motor cultivates up to 16 in. (40. 6 cm) wide x 8 in. (20. 3 cm) deep
- DURABLE: 6 Steel angled tines for maximum durability and performance
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- George Tiller, Warren Hern, Leroy Carhart (Actors)
- DUAL DIRECTION- Operate in CRT mode (counter rotating tines) to bust sod and till tough soils, then shift...
- FRUSTRATION FREE SHIFTING- Pioneer removes the guesswork from getting in gear with a shift positioning...
- 21. 2cc gas 2-cycle commercial engine turns tines twice as fast as other Small tillers
- Fast-start technology makes pulling the starter cord 75% easier
- 43cc Single-Cylinder 2-Stroke Engine: The most powerful engine created for safety and ease of use...
- 7-inch (17.8 cm) Transport Wheels: Easily transport between jobs or in and out of storage
- 【Powerful 10-Amp Motor】The powerful 10 amp pure motor with a speed up to 365rpm quickly loosens the...
- 【Double Safety System】To safely start the machine, the tiller cultivator are equipped with on/off...
- High-efficiency 60V Brushless motor with electric start provides more power, torque, and longer life...
- 4" hardened Steel tines offer an 8" tilling width and 5" tilling depth
- VERSATILE: Ideal for small to mid-sized gardens and flowerbeds
- POWERFUL: Powerful 6.5-amp motor cultivates up to 14" wide x 7" deep
- convenient & quiet: four-cycle engine requires no mixing of oil and fuel, and it runs quieter.
- stand-up starting: start and stop comfortably from behind the handlebars without bending over.
There are several factors one should consider when shopping for their next tiller or cultivator. We break down each metric that we consider and how it weighs into the overall rating.
This is a pretty broad term but refers to how well the units of a given manufacturer perform overall. This is due to a few key components that include (but aren’t limited to) engine size/power, tine configuration, tilling depth, various features, and more. Essentially, a unit that performs better means that it makes your given task easier and takes less time. Obviously, we can’t directly compare a small cultivator to an industrial-sized tiller so we rather try to compare each product to similar products in the industry.
There can be a pretty wide range of sizes to choose from when it comes to tillers and cultivators, so we appreciate companies that offer multiple examples so that they hit a larger target audience. And the selection isn’t just limited to size. There are various types of power sources (gas, gas/oil, electric, and even propane) and we also like to see brands that try out a few different ones. Finally, there can even be different configurations of the tines such as front, mid, and rear tines that each have their own unique pros and cons.
The price range between entry-level cultivators and premium industrial-sized tillers is massive. We understand that just about everybody has some sort of budget, so asking price plays an important role in our overall rating metrics. We try to compare a given product to other similar performing products on the market to get an accurate feel for how it compares to its competition. Just remember (particularly when it comes to tillers) that you get what you pay for and the units with higher asking prices oftentimes last longer and perform much better!
Looks might not be a big deal to some, seeing how these are going to be getting quite dirty when in use. However, we still do like a product that has an attractive look and that more importantly gives off a vibe of being tough and durable. We understand that looks are also quite subjective so this rating metric doesn’t play a huge role in the overall rating.
Seeing how expensive tillers and some cultivators can be, we want products that are designed to last. This is accomplished through many methods including the use of premium metal materials, optimal and well-engineering construction, efficient design that hides or protects weak points, and products that are backed with good warranties. We consider high-dollar items such as these to be investments so you should always want to put your hard-earned money in an investment that will last and that the manufacturer will back up if something does go wrong.
Ease of Use
This metric deals with how user-friendly a particular cultivator or tiller is. Larger products can be quite bulky and heavy so we appreciate features and accessories that make them much easier to use. These include things such as ergonomic control panels, self-driving gears, large tires with great grip and turning radius, and power sources that require little in regards to maintenance or repair.
As the title says, this is basically an overview of how well a product does after considering all of the individual metrics discussed above. We look for tillers that do well across the board. For those that have wider budgets, you may be able to ignore the cost metric somewhat. Similarly, for those who only have small personal gardens, you may not be as concerned about high-dollar products that put out impressive power and have huge tilling areas. That being said, any of our top choices should be great options for most people.