Why does a crib mattress matter so much? The truth is, many new parents spend a lot of time and money shopping for the perfect crib, without realizing that the mattress is also extremely important.
A high-quality crib is vital of course, but a mattress is just as key when it comes to safe and healthy sleeping. A good crib mattress helps to significantly reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) in young babies and gives your little one the right level of support for normal bone and muscle development.
To take the stress out of buying a good mattress for infants, our experts have created a handy buyers’ guide and reviewed the top crib mattress brands 2019
Top 12 Crib Mattress
- MATTRESS IN A BOX: This mattress ships compressed in a lightweight, easy-to-carry box for ultimate...
- WATER-RESISTANT, REMOVABLE, AND HAND-WASHABLE OUTER COVER: This mattress' soft outer cover is...
- Double Sided Mattress featuring a firmer side for infants, and a softer side for toddlers.
- A supportive foam layer will cradle your newborn safely, and the contouring memory foam layer will...
- Firm thermo-bonded polyester fiber core Light weight for easy changing Square corners help for secure fit...
- GREENGUARD Gold certified: recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to healthier...
- Promotes airflow
- All DOM mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified for a healthy indoor environment for your baby
- The Milliard Crib Mattress uses a unique blend of foam to create the perfect combination of comfort, and...
- Say goodbye to uncomfortable spring mattresses and cheap quality synthetic blends.
- FIRM SUPPORT -- 150 heavy gauge steel coils for firm support while your baby sleeps and grows. Firm...
- WATERPROOF & BREATHABLE COVER -- Waterproof cover and lock-stitched waterproof binding resists stains,...
- Firm polyester fiber core, light weight for easy changing.5 inch non-allergenic polyester core
- Square corners help for secure fit inside crib, waterproof vinyl cover resists moisture and stains
- High density thermo-bonded core provides firm support
- Lightweight design. Fits standard cribs and toddler beds
- ✔️【Dual Sided Sleep System】 Our baby crib mattress features organic cotton with a premium natural...
- ✔️【Measures】52 x 27½ x 5.5 inches, fits any standard full-size crib and toddler bed. This crib...
- Mattress is proudly constructed of quality materials and workmanship in the USA
- Mattress Meets Federal Standard Flammability Standard 16-CFR 1633 and carries a 10 year limited warranty...
- This product is intended to be use from 6 months and up. Dimensions: 37.5"x25.5"X3"
- Antibacterial, waterproof lock stitched binding helps prevent mold, mildew and odor from seeping inside...
- 120 heavy duty innerspring coils Full perimeter border wire Ortho-insulated layer for support....
- Convoluted layers for comfort Naturally blended cotton layer on toddler side for extra comfort...
How to Choose a Good Baby Crib Mattress?
Hopefully, you’ve already got plenty of inspiration from our Top 10 product reviews to help you choose the very best mattress possible for your baby.
However, we recognize that there are many, many infant and toddler mattresses on the market which you may also be considering. For this reason, it’s important that buyers are able to distinguish a fantastic mattress from a not-so-great product.
Luckily, our experts are at hand to explain just how to spot a really good (and safe) mattress for your newborn babies. Just check for these 10 key features, and you can be sure that you’re buying a product that’s healthy and suitable. Never forget to check out expert and user reviews of products to make sure the claims stack up!
1. Mattress cover
Perhaps the first thing you’ll notice when you pick up a mattress is its cover. Although it will be covered with sheets, it’s a good idea to select a product with a soft and cozy cover that will be comfortable for your baby to sleep on. The cover should be removable and washable so that you can keep the mattress clean and sanitary.
Some mattresses also come with specially-designed wipe-clean covers, so that you can simply wipe off minor spills without going to the trouble of laundering the entire cover. This can save you a lot of time, especially in the early days when you’re exhausted!
A mattress which is not dense enough may develop ‘dips’ in areas and will become uncomfortable for your baby to sleep. You should also make sure that the mattress you are choosing is reasonably lightweight, which will help you in turning the mattress over when needed or taking it to other rooms along with the crib. This also makes sheet changes much easier- and trust us, you’ll be doing plenty of those!
If you’re buying a mattress in-store, you should hand-test the firmness yourself. Using the palm of your hand, push down on the mattress firmly. If it springs back, the quality is likely to be better.
Avoid buying the mattress that feels comfortable to your own tastes. A baby needs a very firm mattress to avoid the risk of SIDS and for their muscular-skeletal development.
4. Eco-friendly and non-toxic
Aim to purchase a mattress that has been manufactured without the use of toxic chemicals. Nowadays, many consumers prefer an eco-friendly mattress with an organic cotton cover for a baby or toddler.
Organic means non-genetically modified, but it doesn’t mean the whole mattress is organic. Keep in mind that cotton is not waterproof, but only water-resistant. Mattresses featuring with these materials are expensive, but they are safe and toxic-chemical free. Certifications such as Certi-Pur or GREENGUARD Gold also give you peace of mind that the mattress has been manufactured without the use of any toxic chemicals.
5. Mattress Size
Obviously, mattress size is one of the most important things to ensure the safety of your baby. When it comes to the size of the mattress, it will mostly depend on the size of the crib. The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) report states that the interior crib dimensions must be 28 5/8 inches wide and 52 3/8 5/8 inches long in order to comply with their regulations.
Any gap between the crib sides and the mattress can pose a serious risk to new-born babies and toddlers alike. Ensure that the gap is not more than 1.25 inches. When it comes to thickness it needs to measure 6 inches.
Why are gaps so important to avoid? Babies and toddlers can actually become stuck between the mattress and the sides of the crib if the gaps are too large. This can lead to serious injury or even suffocation, so this is one of the most important factors to check out.
7. Manufacturer’s description
It is also important to look at the manufacturer’s website and on the product label for specifications and descriptions. The law states that the manufacturers are required to list all materials on the label. Better labels include the mattress’ components by layer. If you like to buy online, you should know the available features on the mattress so that you can compare products and select the ideal one.
You should buy a waterproof mattress (or at the very least one that is water-resistant) to avoid mold developing due to moisture. As it’s pretty hard to avoid leaks onto a baby mattress altogether, there is a possibility that mold could grow within just a few days. Mold looks unsanitary, smells unpleasant and is dangerous for a new-born baby or toddler to inhale. Spills seeping into the mattress can also lead to a dangerous build-up of bacteria and potentially cause infection in your child.
Many parents are persuaded to spend more than they really need to on their baby’s mattress through guilt, but as long as the mattress you buy is safe and comfortable, your baby will be perfectly happy. However, if you want something specific or more technologically-developed, then you might need to spend extra.
10. Compliance Standards
All mattresses are safe for small babies if they meet the crib safety standards of the USA. They need to go through a rigorous testing procedure before introduction to the consumer market. Some companies also use chemical flame-retardants. If you are buying an organic mattress, then make sure that it is GOTS certified. Consider the largest GOTS certification, OTCO. All these certifications are important to ensure the safety, durability, and comfort of the products.